Gluten Free | Refined Sugar Free | Vegan
Sticky Toffee Cupcakes with Salty Chocolate Hazelnuts! - Little sticky toffee puddings in cupcake form! All the yummy sweetness and flavours of a traditional sticky toffee pudding achieved using the healthiest ingredient substitutions to make them Vegan, Gluten Free and Refined Sugar Free. The Salty Chocolate Hazelnut topping takes these to the next level - Perfect for elevenses or afternoon tea, these are guaranteed to be a hit with family and friends.
For the sponges:
150g coconut sugar
75ml rice bran or melted coconut oil
250g dairy-free yogurt - we used coconut
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
175g gluten-free self-raising flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp salt
For the salted caramel sauce:
100g coconut sugar
40g coconut oil
25g maple syrup
100g coconut cream, scooped from a tin of coconut milk
½ tsp sea salt
For the icing:
100g dairy-free vegan butter
200g powdered coconut sugar
Salty Chocolate Hazelnuts for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
2. To make the sponge, put the sugar, oil, yoghurt and apple cider vinegar in a bowl then beat with an electric whisk until well combined.
3. Sieve in the flour, bicarbonate and salt, then whisk again until smooth. Fill the paper cases with the mix then bake for 20 mins golden. Leave to cool in tin.
4. To make the caramel sauce, heat the coconut sugar, coconut oil and maple syrup in a small pan, stirring until melted. Bring to a boil, add the coconut cream and sea salt, then reduce to a simmer and allow to bubble away for 2 mins before removing from the heat and leaving to cool and thicken.
5. To make the icing, put the vegan butter and powdered coconut sugar in a mixing bowl and use an electric whisk to beat together. Optionally, beat in a couple of tbsp of the salted caramel sauce you made earlier, then leave to chill in the fridge for about 20 mins before decorating your cupcakes.
6. To decorate, top the cooled cupcakes with the icing, drizzle over your coconut caramel sauce and sprinkle with chopped salty chocolate hazelnuts.